The Oriental Institute of the Czech Academy of Sciences is seeking an experienced and motivated individual to serve as Head Librarian of its library based in Prague, Czech Republic as it undergoes the beginning phases of a planned transition to a new site. The qualified individual’s primary duties will be to oversee day-to-day operations of the library, supervise cataloguing and retro-cataloguing of the library holdings, monitor new acquisitions, and identify and manage special collections. The position is ideal for a self-motivated and self- directed individual who loves books and wishes to implement an exciting and dynamic vision for a 300,000+ volume library housed in one of Europe’s oldest institutes for Oriental Studies. The Head Librarian will supervise the library staff and report directly to the Director of the Oriental Institute.
- Minimum B.A. degree, background or experience in library sciences strongly preferred
- Fluency or near-native fluency in written and spoken English
- Knowledge of library systems and cataloguing
- Ability to manage a team of librarians and external interns
- Ability to communicate clearly with co-workers, researchers, and library patrons
- Knowledge of one or more of the languages, cultures, and histories related to the Oriental Institute’s sub-fields (Middle East, South Asia, East and Southeast Asia, Central Asia) preferred
- Manage day-to-day operations of library and oversee activities of library staff
- Identify and manage special collections (including possible digitalization)
- Support Oriental Institute researchers in utilizing and accessing library materials
- Pursue grants and other sources of external funding for retro-cataloguing of the library holdings, public exhibitions, and new acquisitions
- Formulate a new vision for the library as it undergoes a phased transition
Deadline: November 8, 2020 Full information here.
Zdroj: Akademie věd ČR